Freedom of Information Requests
It is the public policy of this state that all persons (except those persons incarcerated in state or local correctional facilities) are entitled to full and complete information regarding the affairs of government and the official acts of those who represent them as public officials and public employees.
The people shall be informed so that they may fully participate in the democratic process.
Consistent with the Michigan Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), Public Act 442 of 1976, the following is the Written Public Summary of the County’s FOIA Procedures and Guidelines relevant to the general public.
How do I submit a FOIA request to the County?
- A request must sufficiently describe a public record so as to enable the County to find it.
- Please include the words “FOIA” or “FOIA Request” in the request to assist the County in providing a prompt response.
- Requests to inspect or obtain copies of public records prepared, owned, used, possessed or retained by the County may be submitted on the County’s FOIA Request Form, in any other form of writing (letter, fax, email, etc.).
- No specific form to submit a written request is required. However a FOIA Request Form and other FOIA-related forms are available for your use and convenience on the County’s website at http://www.leelanau.cc/foiaforms/ , and at the County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, 8527 E. Government Center Dr., Suite 202, Suttons Bay, MI 49682.
- Written requests may be delivered to the County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office in person or by mail: Attn: Leelanau County Prosecuting Attorney, FOIA Coordinator, 8527 E. Government Center Dr., Suite 202, Suttons Bay, MI 49682.
- Requests may be faxed to: 231-256-0133. To ensure a prompt response, faxed requests should contain the term “FOIA” or “FOIA Request” on the first/cover page.
- Requests may be emailed to: email@example.com . To ensure a prompt response, email requests should contain the term “FOIA” or “FOIA Request” in the subject line.
This page last updated on 6/25/2020.