Report... Crime

Crimes are investigated by the police, not the Prosecutor. Crimes should be reported to the police department or other law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction where the crime occurred. For example, crimes occurring on Grand Traverse Band tribal property should be reported to the Grand Traverse Band Tribal Police.  If the crime was committed elsewhere inside Leelanau County,the crime should be reported to the Leelanau County Sheriff's Department or the Michigan State Police Department.

Once the initial investigation has been completed, the police department's report is filed with the Prosecuting Attorney. The Prosecutor reviewing the warrant request may send the case back to the police for further investigation. Ultimately, the reviewing Prosecutor decides what charge(s), if any, will be issued and when the charges(s) should be issued.

Return to the Prosecutor's home page.

This page last updated on 5/6/2022.