Toll Free: 1-877-256-6911
Responsibilities of Marine Safety Deputies:
- Enforce State of Michigan Boating Laws as well as Special Local Watercraft Controls.
- Patrol the Lake Michigan shoreline from Empire to Traverse City, including both Manitou Islands and both Fox Islands. Offshore County waters: 2,154.74 sq. mi.
- Patrol of the 5 inland lakes of Leelanau County.
- Patrol Sanctioned Marine Events – numbering from 18 to 20 per year.
- Investigate marine-related incidents.
- Recover lost and/or abandoned watercraft.
- Remove navigation obstructions.
- Assist distressed boaters and tow when necessary.
- Investigate boating accidents and complete reports for the Sheriff’s Office and the State of Michigan.
- Perform Basic First Aid.
- Conduct vessel safety checks.
- Teach Boater Safety Classes and award Boater Safety Certificates.
- Conduct boat livery Inspections of rental boats at a minimum of 24 boat livery locations.
- Responsible for maintenance and storage of 5 vessels and 2 vehicles.
- Assist the United States Coast Guard with Law Enforcement and Search and Rescue Operations.
- Assist local Fire and Rescue Units with Search and Rescue Operations.
- Assist the Northern Michigan Mutual Aid Dive Team in Underwater Recovery operations.
- Provide transportation for LCSO Maritime Security Team.
- Assist the DNR and neighboring law enforcement agencies with Marine Law Enforcement Activities.
- Support the National Park Service with offshore Search and Rescue Operations.
- Member of both Sector Sault Ste. Marie and Sector Lake Michigan Area Maritime Security Committees.
Who May Operate a Boat?
Those born on or after July 1, 1996, may operate a boat legally only if they have been issued a Boating Safety Certificate and have it on board the boat.
Who May Operate a Personal Watercraft?
Persons at least 16 years of age and those born after December 31, 1978, may operate a PWC legally only if they have obtained a Boating Safety Certificate and have it on board the PWC.
If you have misplaced your Boating Safety Certificate, you may request a duplicate by following this link:
Additional Resources: (both also have Facebook presence)
Official Online Michigan Boating Safety Course:
- Leland Twp Harbor 231-256-9132
- Elmwood Twp Marina 231-946-5463
- G. Marsten Dame Marina, Northport 231-386-5411
- Suttons Bay Village Marina 231-271-6703
Tow BoatUS 989-944-3483
Traverse Dockside Marine 231-357-7250
This page last updated on 2/23/2021.