|Planning Sign on old office
Location: The Leelanau County Planning and Community Development office is located at 8527 E Government Center Dr, Suite 108, Suttons Bay MI 49682. Office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday.
The County Planning office provides a variety of technical support functions to the County Board of Commissioners, the County Planning Commission, the Solid Waste Council, the Brownfield Redevelopment Authority, and local units of government. Specific responsibilities include:
- Representing the County in Peninsula-wide committees and task forces, as well as regional planning and economic development groups.
- Assistance in maintaining, updating, and implementing the Leelanau General Plan.
- Responding to data requests from citizens, outside interests, local units, and county entities.
- Maintaining data bases and preparing maps through the Geographic Information System (GIS).
- Administration of the Remonumentation Program
- Address and road name assignment and administration.
- Spearheading special studies, projects, and reports for the County Board and/or other entities as assigned.
- Analysis of land-use plans and zoning ordinances of local governments, prepared for the County Planning Commission.
- Administration of the County's housing rehabilitation program.
- Monitoring land use and planning issues, state and federal planning policies and programs, conducting background studies and making recommendations for planning needs in the County.
- Budgeting and other administrative functions for the Planning Department.