Kasson Township residents value the rural, undeveloped nature of the area that is predominantly covered with forests, farm land and some orchards. Most of the people, predominantly of German, Polish and British heritage, are middle class homeowners who are family oriented. The unincorporated village of Maple City, originally called Peg Town, was founded in 1866 and is the only densely settled area in the Township. Among the services within the village are a post office, grocery market, gas station, two restaurants, several churches, an exercise center, the Lions Club with an adjoining park and a Leelanau County Road Commission garage. The Glen Lake Community School has a population of approximately 925 students from kindergarden through 12th grade residing in the Empire, Glen Arbor, Cedar and Maple City areas.